Board, Name
Object number2011.37.1
Date1919
OriginAmbridge, PA
OriginCoal Valley, PA
Mediumwood; paint
Credit LineTransfer from Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission
DescriptionSteamboat name board. Wooden rectangular sign. Black with text in yellow paint of vessel name. Six cut holes through sign (for connecting to ship), from left to right: two between "LL"; two between "M W"; two on "M". Back side blank, flat. Handwritten in black on white paint on two short side edges is former museum catalog number.Dimensions15.75 x 1.375 x 156.5 in. (40 x 3.5 x 397.5 cm)InscriptionsText in yellow paint: "WILLIAM WHIGHAM".
Handwritten in black on white paint on two short side edges: "FP 91.1.2".
Historical NotesSteamboat name board from the steam towboat, "William Whigham." The boat, owned by Carnegie-Illinois Corporation, was built in Ambridge, Pennsylvania, and finished at Coal Valley, Pennsylvania in 1919.
Related institution
Carnegie-Illinois Steel Corporation
On View
Not on viewC. and E. Marshall Company
c. 1978
1970-2000
Westinghouse Learning Corporation