Bowl, Sugar
Object number2017.113.10 a,b
Manufacturer
Pairpoint Manufacturing Company
Date1866-1938
OriginNew Bedford, MA
MediumSilver-plated metal
Credit LineGift of Shadyside Hospital Foundation, UPMC Shadyside
DescriptionSilver-plated metal sugar bowl with lid. Wide body curves inward to narrower mouth. Two C-shaped handles. Circular foot. Wide part of body has engraved hospital name. Silver-plated metal lid. Flat rim has rounded edge and curves gently upward creating dome with knob handle at center. Underside of rim has protruding edge for fitting into sugar bowl.DimensionsHeight x Width x Depth (a,b together): 3.75 x 4.563 x 3.625 in. (9.5 x 11.6 x 9.2 cm)Height x Width x Depth (a): 2.688 x 4.563 x 3.625 in. (6.8 x 11.6 x 9.2 cm)
Height x Diameter (b): 1.25 x 2.625 in. (3.2 x 6.7 cm)
Inscriptions(a)
Engraved text on front of body “Homeopathic Hospital”.
Marks(a)
Underside has imprinted text including “PAIRPOINT MFG. CO. / NEW BEDFORD, MASS.” surrounding “QUADRUPLE / PLATE” surrounding diamond logo with “P” at center; below this is “133 / 1 / MADE IN / U.S.A.”
Historical NotesSugar bowl used at the Homeopathic Hospital. Homeopathic Hospital was the predecessor of Shadyside Hospital and Dr. James H. McClelland was one of its more prominent physicians. Homeopathic Hospital, a 38-bed hospital was established in 1866 on the Boulevard of the Allies and Smithfield Street in downtown Pittsburgh. The hospital moved to a site just in front of its present location in 1910. By 1938, homeopathic medicine had fallen out of favor and the hospital changed its name to Shadyside Hospital. The present building was erected in 1972, and it became part of UPMC in 1997. Dr. James Henderson McClelland, Jr., attended Hahnemann Homeopathic College in Philadelphia before returning to Pittsburgh and becoming a prominent physician operating out of his home on Shadyside on the corner of Wilkins and Fifth Avenue. McClelland played a major role in the Homeopathic Hospital, including its eventual move from downtown to Shadyside.
Related institution
Homeopathic Hospital
(1866 - 1938)
Related institution
Shadyside Hospital
Related person
Dr. James Henderson McClelland
(born 1845)
On View
Not on viewJackson China Incorporated