Plate, Commemorative
Object number2015.58.11
Date1950
MediumCeramic/Glaze
Credit LineGift of Birmingham United Church of Christ
DescriptionCeramic commemorative plate. White glaze with green/blue decorative glaze around scalloped rim of plate. Brown raised glaze image at front center of plate of church with text below. Underside has a foot and a circle at center, but is otherwise undecorated.Dimensions0.813 x 9.375 in. (2.1 x 23.8 cm)InscriptionsAt front center of plate below image of church is text "G.U.E. Church / 1950".
Historical NotesPart of a collection of items from the Birmingham United Church of Christ. The Birmingham United Church of Christ, originally chartered in June of 1846 as a United Evangelical Protestant Church, arose from the efforts of German-speaking residents living in the borough of Birmingham (now the South Side of Pittsburgh) who had worshipped at the Smithfield Street United Evangelical Protestant Church. Their first building was on Tenth and Bradford Street. In 1866, they laid the cornerstone for a brand new building at the corner of 17th and Jane Streets. In 1913, they began to conduct services in English as less and less congregants understood German. In 1924, the Birmingham Church joined other United Evangelical Protestant Churches in the General Council of Congregational Churches. In 1951, the church moved again to the South Hills on Ormsby Avenue, and in 1964, affiliated themselves with the Evangelical and Reformed Churches.
Previous owner
Birmingham United Church of Christ
Related institution
German United Evangelical Church of Birmingham
On View
Not on viewWawel
Irene Pasinski Sailer