Icon

Object number2025.93.1
Datec. 1915
MediumWood; Varnish; Gesso; Paint; Glass; Ceramic; Paper; Ink; Adhesive
Credit LineGift of Margaret Pete
DescriptionFramed wall-mounted religious icon. Rectangular red-brown wooden frame with inset ornate gilt frame trim that frames two separate glass shadow box windows. Top shadow box has painted ceramic figurine of Virgin Mary holding child Jesus Christ with each figure holding a rosary that is also held by two kneeling robed figures, a man on the viewer's left and a woman on the viewer's right; the interior side of the glass has painted frame with religious iconography. Interior side of the bottom shadow box's glass has painted border of decorative and religious iconography that divides the glass into two sections; visible through the two sections is a paper scroll featuring printed color religious scenes of the Christian/Catholic Glorious Mysteries. Back of the icon's frame and shadow boxes are dark brown wood with the portions covered in brown paper. Back of top shadow box has metal wire horizontal across center. The proper left side of the bottom shadow box has two turned handles for controlling the scroll. Back of the frame has two metal U-bolts.DimensionsHeight x Width x Depth: 26.25 x 17.25 x 4 in. (66.7 x 43.8 x 10.2 cm)
InscriptionsTop shadow box window has painted gold text at top center (on interior side) "IHS" and bottom center "The Holy Rosary".

Bottom shadow box window has printed black text at the bottom of the scene on the viewer's left "SECOND GLORIOUS MYSTERY. / The Ascension" and printed black text at the bottom of the scene on the viewer's right "THIRD GLORIOUS MYSTERY / Descent of the Holy Ghost."
Historical NotesIcon of the Blessed Virgin, c. 1915. This icon hung in the home of Czechoslovakian immigrants John and Mary Thomas. John (1880-1958) immigrated to the United States in 1907 from Dubravka and his wife Mary (1888-1970) came with their child Stephen in 1912. They settled in Lyndora, near Butler, Pennsylvania, where John got a job at the Armco steel mill. He had two brothers that lived in Pittsburgh. The couple had met and married in Czechoslovakia in 1904. The icon represents their religious faith, they were lifelong members of St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church in Lyndora. St. John the Baptist Church was founded on May 10, 1910, by Rusyn immigrants who came to the area to work in the Standard Steel Car Company factory. Donor Margaret Pete is granddaughter of John and Mary Thomas.
Previous owner (1880 - 1958)
Previous owner (1888 - 1970)
Related person
Related person
Related institution (founded 1910)
On View
Not on view
Assemblage
J.J. Gillespie & Company
c. 1890
Yesterdays
Charles E. McHugh
1969
Painting
Jim Fedasz
1944
Point Breeze
Ron Donoughe
2014
Icon
Uncut Mountain Supply
c. 2019
Garfield
Ron Donoughe
2013
navigate_beforenavigate_next