Pliers

Object number2017.5.7
Manufacturer
OriginUnited States
MediumMetal
Credit LineGift of William A. Pryor, Jr.
DescriptionSilver-tone metal nailing pinchers.DimensionsLength x Width x Depth (Closed): 10 × 1.375 × 0.813 in. (25.4 × 3.5 × 2.1 cm)
Length x Width x Depth (Open): 9.063 × 6.063 × 0.813 in. (23 × 15.4 × 2.1 cm)
MarksEngraved text on exterior of one jaw section "TRADE SCHUL-SONS MARK / U. S. A."

Raised text on inside of each handle "SCHUL-SONS U.S.A."
Historical NotesPryor Furs, in operation for over 50 years, was an African-American owned furrier located in Pittsburgh’s Hill District neighborhood. Pryor Furs was established in 1947 by William Andrew Pryor, Sr. (1913-2000). Pryor was born in Midland, Washington County, where his father was a coal cutter. Pryor was looking for work besides coal mining and got into the fur business because his brother worked as an elevator operator for a furrier who was looking for someone to teach the trade to. At 16 he started running errands for the business and at 17 had made his first coat. He worked for a number of furriers in the Pittsburgh area and ultimately started his own business in 1947 operating at first from the basement of his home in Washington, PA. He soon moved to a location on Wylie Avenue in the Hill District where he attracted a loyal following among the neighborhood community. In 1954, with the demolition of the Lower Hill, Pryor purchased a building at 2435 Centre Avenue in which to house the store. Eventually, William Pryor, Jr. joined his father in the business and assumed its operation following Pryor’s death in 2000. Pryor Furs was one of the first African American-owned businesses in Pittsburgh and the only black owned and operated furrier on the East coast. This created racial discrimination and tension for the family-owned business. Pryor Furs had a reputation for its craft and, in addition to custom-made and designed furs, was particularly known for restyling overworn garments. Pryor Furs worked with department stores in Pittsburgh and independent furriers in the region and attracted customers from across the United States. The business stayed strong despite animal rights activists protesting fur businesses. The store did, however, close around 2013 but had been in operation for more than 50 years.
Related institution (founded 1947)
Related person (1913 - 2000)
On View
Not on view
Pistol, Flintlock
Blyths & Company
1760-1780
Forceps
1972-1999
Wrench, Open-End
United States Steel Corporation
c. 1960
Vise
c. 1950
United States Steel Corporation
c. 1950
United States Steel Corporation
c. 1950
Comb, Hair
Schul-Sons
Wheel, Tracing
Schul-Sons
navigate_beforenavigate_next