Model
Object number2008.62.21 a,b
Made by
Frank Salisbery
Date1925-1970
MediumWood, paint, cardboard, glue
Credit LineGift of Vicky Johnson and David Johnson
DescriptionTwo (2) house-shaped buildings, with orange-painted roofs. Bases for restrooms are painted green, with a window on either end of one building. Other building has door at both sides, with no windows on either side. Benches are placed in middle of out houses with people sitting on both sides. Each door has a sign above the door with gender.Dimensions5.25 x 5.25 x 7 in. (13.3 x 13.3 x 17.8 cm)InscriptionsA sign labeled "Men's" above one door, with a sign labeled "Women's" on the other.
Historical NotesPart of a hand-crafted amusement park, perhaps inspired by and bearing some resemblance to, West View Park. West View Park was open from 1905 to 1977 in the North Side. Carved by Frank Salisbery for his son Walter in the late 1920s, he began with the roller coaster and slowly added more pieces over the next 40 years. He used wood from fruit crates to whittle his pieces, and the park ran on motors from household appliances. Beginning in 1955, the park was put on display in either Walter Salisbery's basement or a local department store in the North Hills. The last time it was assembled before being donated was 1990.
Previous owner
Walter Salisbery
On View
Not on view